Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Weekend at Strawberry Resiviour!




We spent conference weekend up at Lindsey's grandma's cabin. It was a blast! We had mom and Dad Eaton, "Papa" Loveless, Dainebramage, Goober (Spencer), and of course our kids with us. We were hoping the weather would hold out for the weekend and we'd have some sunshine to go fishing with, but it was not to be. Friday on the drive up we could feel the cold air rolling in. The scenery was beautiful on the drive up though and the storm clouds moving in only accentuated the beauty of the aspen and pine all decked out in autumn colors. Lindsey and I stopped in Heber on the way to wait for my parents. Although I gave them likely the best directions anyone anywhere has ever given to any destination, Lindsey thought they still had a good chance of getting lost and since cell phones have little to no reception up there we (she) decided we'd better stop. So we did. We waited at the Dairy Keen. A wonderful little burger joint decked out in train paraphernalia. Even though I'm on a diet plan (from Hillari) I gave in to the sweet temptations of a pumpkin pie shake. I have no regrets it was probably the best shake I've ever had and I'd do it again in a heart beat. The kids ate fries.
Shortly after my run in with heaven at the Dairy Keen my parents arrived and we drove down to the local Smith's to buy dad a fishing licence. The nice lady at the customer service counter shared a cheese and cracker tray which I can only suspect had been recently returned to the store for who knows what. Dad ate I declined. I'm not too big on second hand food myself. A big change from my single days as anyone who's eaten Little Ceaser's Pizza with me will attest.
We finally arrived at the cabin right about sundown and met up with Lindsey's father who was patiently waiting. He fed us a wonderful King Crab dinner. It was amazing as his cooking usually is. He knows how to play host. We all got settled in and played a game of Dominoes that lasted till midnight or so.


The next morning even though it was cold as a witches er... heart. we decided to go fishing. It was also raining which added that much more enjoyment to the event. Scott decided that we should rent a pontoon boat rather than stand on the shore so we went out on the lake like a bunch of idiots wearing clothing not suited to the weather and bringing with us two young children. even though it was cold we all were having a nice time attempting to catch some fish. they weren't biting where we had stopped our boat though so we decided to move. the boat had gotten us there fine however when we turned the key all we were blessed with was the heart warming sound of a spark plug firing blanks. we tried for a few minutes and deduced that we were stranded on a large deep cold lake with little shelter no food (except a few candy bars Lindsey had brought along) and no way to call for help. Lucky for us though Daine had his cell phone and after drifting a few hundred yards he was able to get enough signal to make an emergency call. After waiting on the lake for only 2 or 3 hours help finally arrived. We were delivered a new boat and were on our way. of course by this time we were all bone cold and had two crying kids so we went home. We were able to catch two Cutthroat trout while we were waiting so we at least caught a few fish on our fishing trip!
Back at the Cabin after thawing and drying out Daine and I played Ping Pong for awhile. I finally convinced Daine that he needed to quit after winning 7 out of eight games we played. The game he won I was holding the paddle upside down and hi still only one by 3. We then played the longest game of phase ten I have ever played. Almost everyone was nearing 1000 points by the end. poor Lindsey spent eight hands on phase three and quit. I don't blame her. After the trip Scott told me my family is the most competitive card players he's ever played with. It was an emotional contest. LOL!
Sunday afternoon the kids were begging to go down and play on a zip line swing. It's setup right there near the Cabin and it is a blast. We even got both my Mom and Dad to take a ride! Daine took a video on his phone if you run into him you can ask him for it. We forgot to bring our camera up so unfortunately I have no pictures of the entire trip.
That was about it for the trip. I had a great time and look forward to next time. Hope it was just as fun for everyone who came up with us.
see ya.

No comments:

My Play List